CVS compilation

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 21 14:48:26 PDT 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 03:44, Wolf Drechsel wrote:

> I'd like to use gnuplot 4.3 on my Mac 10.4.11 - which is not yet
> available as a port

4.2.x appears to be the latest stable version, according to the web
site, therefore that's what MacPorts provides.

> One can obtain it via CVS - but on my machine the compilation
> results in several errors I cannot resolve.

What errors do you get?

> So I wonder whether it would be the easier way to do it using
> macports.

MacPorts is for taking software that can already be compiled on Mac OS
X and making it easier to install. Unless the errors you're getting
relate to being unable to find dependencies provided by MacPorts, I
doubt it will be any more possible to build it in MacPorts than it was
by hand.

> The CVS commands to obtain gnuplots are:
>
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at gnuplot.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/
> gnuplot login
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at gnuplot.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/
> gnuplot co -P gnuplot
>
> Can anybody give me a hint whether it is possible to compile from
> that source using the macports basis - and how to do it?

The Guide explains how to write portfiles:

http://guide.macports.org/

So if you really must have 4.3 now and cannot wait for it to be
released, and want to see if you can get it working in MacPorts, you
can create a local port repository and make a copy of the existing
gnuplot 4.2.x portfile and try updating it.