Bad CPU type in executable

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 27 20:32:23 PDT 2009

On Oct 27, 2009, at 18:56, Dennis C wrote:

> Am in the process of making the switch from dual-boot PCs including
> FreeBSD, so kind of new to this, but am now running Snow Leopard and
> one of the first MacPorts I installed was psycopg2 and was able to
> run the python2.6 and successfully import the aforementioned module,
> but now the following's happening:
>
> DCSs-Mac-mini:bin DCSWest$ python2.6
> -bash: /opt/local/bin/python2.6: Bad CPU type in executable
>

> So not quite sure what happened in between, but wondering if it
> wasn't something with the following attempt to update software:
>
> DCSs-Mac-mini:~ DCSWest$ sudo port selfupdate
> Password:
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> MacPorts base version 1.8.1 installed,
> MacPorts base version 1.8.1 downloaded.
> --->  MacPorts base is already the latest version
>
> The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports,
> you should run
>   port upgrade outdated
>
> DCSs-Mac-mini:~ DCSWest$ sudo port upgrade outdated
> --->  Computing dependencies for dbus
> --->  Configuring dbus
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: autoreconf failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_dbus
> /work/dbus-1.2.16" && autoreconf --install " returned error 126
> Command output: sh: /opt/local/bin/autoreconf: /opt/local/bin/perl:
> bad interpreter: Bad CPU type in executable
>
> Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1

What kind of computer is this? I'm wondering if you have a 32-bit or
64-bit processor. All but the very first Macs have 64-bit processors.

What is the architecture of, say, /opt/local/bin/perl? Use "lipo -
info /opt/local/bin/perl" to find out.

Did you recently upgrade to Snow Leopard -- or did you recently
migrate your MacPorts installation from a different Mac -- and if so,
did you uninstall and reinstall all ports? See the Migration page for
more instructions:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration