xorg-libX11 now depends on groff, why?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 28 15:38:06 PDT 2009

On Oct 28, 2009, at 12:15, Kastus Shchuka wrote:

> I just noticed that xorg-libX11 was upgraded:
>
> xorg-libX11                    1.3.1_0 < 1.3.2_0
>
> When I tried to upgrade it, groff was pulled in.
>
> I checked dependencies of xorg-libX11 and it was true, now groff is
> listed as a dependency:
>
> port deps xorg-libX11
> Full Name: xorg-libX11 @1.3.2
> Build Dependencies:   pkgconfig, xorg-util-macros, xorg-xtrans,
>                      xorg-bigreqsproto, xorg-xcmiscproto, xorg-xproto,
>                      xorg-xextproto, xorg-xf86bigfontproto, xorg-
> inputproto,
>                      xorg-kbproto, groff
> Library Dependencies: xorg-libXdmcp, xorg-libXau
>
> I wonder why a library has to depend on a typesetting package? Is it
> by mistake?
>
> I also checked changeset 59847 (listed as Bump to 1.3.2) and found
> that groff was present in previous changeset 59718 already.
>
> The version in 59718 is 1.3.1, the one that I had installed already
> without groff. Is that possible that port file changes without
> incrementing version number?

groff was added as a build dependency in revision r59680 to fix ticket
#22153.

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/59680

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/22153

Yes, a port can change without its version or revision being
incremented, and without the user being told the port is outdated.
This is done for changes where there would be no benefit in forcing
the user to rebuild. In this case, you either already had MacPorts
groff installed (or you were on Snow Leopard which has a new-enough
groff built-in), so xorg-libX11 built successfully, or you did not
have it installed (and were on Leopard or Tiger), in which case xorg-
libX11 did not complete building. So increasing the port's revision
would only force those who already had it correctly installed to
needlessly rebuild it again.