Where is findutils installed?

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Fri Oct 30 21:15:11 PDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 00:03, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed findutils on macports. But I don't find where the commands
> find, locate, updatedb and xargs are. Could somebody let me know where
> they are?

They are installed, by default, under /opt/local/bin with "g"
prefixing each program name (ie. gxargs instead of xargs).  The
"with_default_names" variant is available which uses the names you're
more likely to be familiar with, though this may cause problems with
scripts which expect a specific version of findutils provided by Mac
OS X.

In general, you can discover the installed files of a port by using
the following command.

port contents <port>

ie.

$ port contents findutils
Port findutils contains:
  /opt/local/bin/gfind
  /opt/local/bin/glocate
  /opt/local/bin/goldfind

arno  s  hautala    /-\   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp eabb6fe6 d47c500f b2458f5d a7cc7abb f81c4e00