macports 1.8 upgrade from scratch: python build failed

Peter Koellner peter at asgalon.net
Tue Sep 1 14:12:06 PDT 2009

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Gonzalo HIGUERA DÍAZ wrote:

> More on migrating a Macports installation to another system:
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

Well, yes, the manual method did not work too well since port failed
to start before updating the system. Actually this failure was the
only reason why I bothered starting the update.

The automatic method also failed because of some error with libz while
updating grep etc..., it told me to use --enforce-variants, but that
did not help either. since it lead to more errors further down the line.

I had not updated port for some time because the last time I did
that I could not use the machine for work for a couple of days until
everything worked fine again. Maybe the differences have
added up a bit so I uninstalled everything and went on with reinstalling
everything I need. Maybe I should have erased the /opt/local directory
completely, but I did not want to loose my configurations.

> It seems to be the (yet unsolved) error reported in
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20284

Yeah, this looks like I'll have lots of fun more with this
update. Luckily, all my remote tools work again - considering the fact
that openssh unexpectedly started installing some X11 libraries, it
could have been worse. I hope things will get sorted out on the way to
macports 2.0

--
peter koellner <peter at asgalon.net>