Problems with gtk2 installer

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 2 00:33:58 PDT 2009

On Sep 1, 2009, at 08:13, Daniel Furrer wrote:

> I have a problem with the installer for an application
> (EiffelStudio) that I am building for our first semester
> "Introduction to Programming" course.
> The problem seems to be related to the gtk2 MacPorts package:
>
> EiffelStudio will work fine if I install it with:
> > sudo port install eiffelstudio64
>
> installing it from the mpkg built with:
> > port mpkg eiffelstudio64
>
> on a freshly set-up Leopard (10.5.8) will hang eiffelstudio during
> startup. (It starts X11 then nothing happens)
>
> If I install MacPorts, build the gtk2 dependency and then install
> only the eiffelstudio.pkg it works as expected.
>
> Do you have any idea what could be causing this behavior?
> Is there anything missing/different when installing gtk2 from the
> mpkg than when I build it on the system itself?

Creating an mpkg can be tricky, because you need to turn off auto-
clean, and you need to install the port and all of its dependencies
and all of its dependencies' dependencies and so on before you can
port mpkg it. To properly do that, probably all of those ports cannot
already be installed when you begin the process, otherwise they may be
missing from the mpkg. What procedure did you follow to create the mpkg?