/usr/local?

David J. Haines daveesq at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 10:25:37 PDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:13 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 2009-08-31 01:36 , David J. Haines wrote:
>> That's exactly what I was talking about.  I understand the potential
>> problems, but that's OK with me (and, presumably others like me).  If
>> one is savvy enough to be using the "--prefix" flag, one should be
>> willing to put up with the potential problems doing so entails.
>
> Getting up to ./configure --prefix=$foo is quite easy and does not
> require any special knowledge.

Neither does realizing that when something doesn't work right, it
might be because of the unrecommended installation location.

>> Perhaps a warning - even one saying that such installs are
>> unsupported
>> - would be in order  but outright denying such installs isn't.
>
> We know it would not work, so we do not allow it. Why do you insist on
> /usr/local even if it does not work?
>
> Rainer

Has something changed between 1.8.0 and the previous version that
would affect this?  If not, then it works just fine in /usr/local, at
least for everything I was using MacPorts for.  In any event, it's
spelled out that it's unsupported, I don't see why the maintainers
couldn't just let the users do as they please, without having to worry
about whether the next version of MacPorts won't install with the
selfupdate action.

David