Help

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 2 18:45:39 PDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 18:51, Erik Montén wrote:

> 3 sep 2009 kl. 01.48 skrev Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>:
>
>> On Sep 2, 2009, at 10:47, Erik Monten wrote:
>>
>>> I am not proud of this "sneaky" approach to my problem, though I
>>> could not find a better solution. I am as a matter of fact having
>>> problems with php5 and the ports that are found on Macports. I
>>> have installed the php5-mysql5 port
>>
>> You mean the php5-mysql port.
>>
>>> since I will mainly be using php5 heavily depending on mysql.
>>> However, I would also like to have mbstring, mcrypt and gd but I
>>> do not know how to best add the listed modules.
>>
>> All you should need to do is to additionally install the ports php5-
>> mbstring, php5-mcrypt and php5-gd.
>
> Thank you for yor help. So just installing the additional ports will
> complement the php5-mysql port, rather than replacing my current
> php5-mysql? Can i have multiple php5 ports active at the same time?
>
> Sorry for the question, i am fairly new to using ports.

Welcome to MacPorts!

php5-mysql is not PHP; it is the set of MySQL modules *for* PHP. The
port php5 *is* PHP. So, to use the PHP language, you install the PHP
language (the php5 port), and if you want additional functionality,
you install any of the modules available in the separate php5-* ports.
So yes, it is intended for you to have multiple php5-* module ports
installed and active at the same time, if you want the functionality
those modules offer.

P.S: Use Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not just to me.