O.T. Can I use my Mac Ports install to build odt2txt?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 3 03:32:33 PDT 2009

On Sep 3, 2009, at 03:08, Peter B. West wrote:

> On 03/09/2009, at 3:56 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I assume you have been able to sync before? Has anything changed on
>> your network since then? Is the rsync port (873) blocked perhaps?
>>
>> You may want to switch to using our new Australian mirror for your
>> ports. It might be faster. Once you get it working at all.
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors
>>
>> If rsync just won't work on your network, you can switch to using a
>> Subversion working copy for your ports.
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SyncingWithSVN
>
> No, I had never done a sync before - new Mac user, new MacPorts user.

Welcome! You will want to "sudo port sync" often, for example before
you begin using MacPorts on any given day. Then use "port outdated" to
see if anything is outdated, and "sudo port upgrade" it if so.

> Yes, it's working now because I'm back at home, so presumably the
> firewall at work is no longer blocking traffic (or some such work-
> related problem.)

Ok, good. Then you will either need to talk to your network people at
work about opening up the rsync port, or just go the Subversion
working copy route per above. I use this, as I'm sure do many of the
developers, for a number of reasons. Our Subversion setup uses http
over port 80 so that's unlikely to be blocked by your network. And
while the regular rsync ports collection updates itself every 30
minutes from the Subversion repository, if you check out directly from
Subversion there is no delay at all. The Subversion working copy will
take more disk space, but that's probably not a big deal.