MacPorts 1.8.0 has been released

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 4 05:13:25 PDT 2009

On Aug 28, 2009, at 11:28, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> This port broke my system.  Good thing I had backups, so I could
> figure out
> what went wrong.
>
>    $ sudo port -v selfupdate
>    [upgrade to 1.8.0]
>    $ port outdated
>    The following installed ports are outdated:
>    libcanberra                    0.15_0 < 0.16_0
>    $ sudo port -puv upgrade libcanberra
>    ... warnings about skipping upgrades ...
>    --->  Cleaning libcanberra
>    --->  Removing build directory for libcanberra
>    --->  Uninstalling libcanberra @0.15_0
>    --->  Uninstall is removing libcanberra from the port registry.
>    $ port outdated
>    zsh: command not found: port
>
> What the F.
>
> Turns out the install is *removing* my /opt symlink, which
> points at private/opt.
>
> Why is the new installer removing my symlink?  That's none of its
> business.

Thank you for letting us know about this problem. I can reproduce it,
and have filed a ticket:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21082

Now we just need to do some testing to find out what broke this, so
that we can fix it. A test script is attached to the ticket, so
somebody just needs to go through and do the testing.