Upgrading to ruby 1.9 on Leopard 1.5.8 +

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 5 06:27:23 PDT 2009

On Sep 5, 2009, at 07:50, stratboy wrote:

> Hi! I posted to ruby-forum.com
> (http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/182612#846898) but not found a real
> solution. My problem is that port updates to ruby19 aren't
> recognized by the
> system:
>
> ruby -v: 1.8.6
> which ruby: /usr/bin/ruby

The ruby19 port does not install a program called "ruby"; it installs
a program called "ruby1.9". You can verify this with "port contents
ruby19".

> .profile:
>

> ##
> # DELUXE-USR-LOCAL-BIN-INSERT
> # (do not remove this comment)
> ##
> echo $PATH | grep -q -s "/usr/local/bin"
> if [ $? -eq 1 ] ; then
>    PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
>    export PATH
> fi

[snip]

Software installed in /usr/local often interferes with the operation
of MacPorts. I recommend you remove this part from your .profile and
verify that you do not have any files in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/
include, /usr/local/lib and related directories before continuing with
MacPorts.