Help needed uninstalling / reinstalling ports

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 18:14:04 PDT 2009

I'm running into lots of issues trying to get gtk2 to install; it
keeps generating an invalid cache.

So, I figured I'd uninstall, and re-install, all of the packages that
it uses -- to make sure that everything is up to date, and +universal.

But I'm stuck on a few of them:
Kleiman-ibook:trunk michael$ sudo port -p uninstall -f pkgconfig cairo
fontconfig freetype glib2 jpeg tiff libiconv libpng jasper atk pango
gettext zlib xorg-libXi xorg-libXrandr xorg-libXcursor
xorg-libXinerama xorg-libXdamage xorg-libXcomposite xorg-libXfixes
--->  The following versions of fontconfig are currently installed:
--->  	fontconfig @2.7.1_0+macosx
--->  	fontconfig @2.7.2_0+macosx
--->  	fontconfig @2.7.2_0+macosx+universal (active)
Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: Please specify the full
version as recorded in the port registry.
--->  The following versions of freetype are currently installed:
--->  	freetype @2.3.8_0+macosx+universal
--->  	freetype @2.3.9_0+macosx+universal
--->  	freetype @2.3.9_1+macosx+universal (active)
Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: Please specify the full
version as recorded in the port registry.
--->  The following versions of libiconv are currently installed:
--->  	libiconv @1.12_2+universal
--->  	libiconv @1.13_0+universal (active)
Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: Please specify the full
version as recorded in the port registry.
--->  The following versions of libpng are currently installed:
--->  	libpng @1.2.35_0+universal
--->  	libpng @1.2.38_0+universal (active)
Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: Please specify the full
version as recorded in the port registry.
--->  The following versions of zlib are currently installed:
--->  	zlib @1.2.3_2+universal
--->  	zlib @1.2.3_3+universal (active)
Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: Please specify the full
version as recorded in the port registry.
--->  The following versions of xorg-libXrandr are currently installed:
--->  	xorg-libXrandr @1.2.3_0+universal
--->  	xorg-libXrandr @1.3.0_1+universal (active)
Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: Please specify the full
version as recorded in the port registry.
Kleiman-ibook:trunk michael$

I was not aware that upgrading packages does not uninstall the now
out-of-date package. And, it's blocking progress.

But, all is not lost. RT?M, and I find the -u option -- uninstall
inactive ports when upgrading/uninstalling.

Kleiman-ibook:trunk michael$ sudo port -u -p uninstall -f pkgconfig
[...]
--->  Uninstalling autoconf @2.63_0+universal
--->  Uninstalling automake @1.10.2_0+universal
--->  Uninstalling fontconfig @2.7.1_0+macosx
--->  Uninstalling fontconfig @2.7.2_0+macosx
--->  Uninstalling freetype @2.3.8_0+macosx+universal
--->  Uninstalling freetype @2.3.9_0+macosx+universal
--->  Uninstalling libiconv @1.12_2+universal
--->  Uninstalling libogg @1.1.3_2+universal
--->  Uninstalling libpng @1.2.35_0+universal
--->  Uninstalling libsdl @1.2.13_5+universal
--->  Uninstalling libtheora @1.0_0+universal
--->  Uninstalling libvorbis @1.2.0_1+universal
--->  Uninstalling m4 @1.4.12_1+universal
--->  Uninstalling p5-locale-gettext @1.05_0+universal
--->  Uninstalling perl5.8 @5.8.9_2
--->  Uninstalling python25 @2.5.4_0+darwin_9+macosx+universal
--->  Uninstalling python_select @0.2.1_0+darwin_9
--->  Uninstalling tcl @8.5.6_0+darwin
--->  Uninstalling Xft2 @2.1.13_2
--->  Uninstalling xorg-bigreqsproto @1.0.2_0
--->  Uninstalling xorg-inputproto @1.5.0_0
--->  Uninstalling xorg-libX11 @1.2_0+universal
--->  Uninstalling xorg-libXau @1.0.4_0+universal
--->  Uninstalling xorg-libXdmcp @1.0.2_0+universal
--->  Uninstalling xorg-libXext @1.0.5_0+universal
--->  Uninstalling xorg-libXrandr @1.2.3_0+universal
--->  Uninstalling xorg-randrproto @1.2.1_0
--->  Uninstalling xorg-renderproto @0.9.3_0
--->  Uninstalling xorg-xcmiscproto @1.1.2_0
--->  Uninstalling xorg-xextproto @7.0.5_0
--->  Uninstalling xorg-xf86bigfontproto @1.1.2_0
--->  Uninstalling xorg-xproto @7.0.14_1
--->  Uninstalling xorg-xtrans @1.2.3_0
--->  Uninstalling xrender @0.9.4_5+universal
--->  Uninstalling XviD @1.1.3_1+universal
--->  Uninstalling zlib @1.2.3_2+universal
Kleiman-ibook:trunk michael$

That's not what I wanted. That's still not uninstalling what I wanted,
and it uninstalled a bunch more that I don't know if I wanted removed
or not.

So, how do I get rid of the unwanted duplicates? And, how do I check
to see if I've clobbered something I needed with that last command?