xalanj on Snow Leopard and 1.8 - Very long build process

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 7 05:13:55 PDT 2009

On Sep 6, 2009, at 22:56, Michael Franz wrote:

> I upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard.  I uninstalled all ports and
> removed macports 1.7 (followed the FAQ instructions).  Installed the
> Snow Leopard Xcode.  Installed macports 1.8 (Snow Leopard version).
> I then tried to install xalanj.  xercesj installed fine, but the
> xalanj build has been running for almost an hour.
> 2544 ttys000    0:07.95 /usr/bin/tclsh /opt/local/bin/port install
> xalanj
>  2708 ttys000    0:00.00 sh -c  cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_java_xalanj
> /work/xalan-j_2_7_0" && ant all docs javadocs
>  2709 ttys000    0:20.73 /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
> Home/bin/java -classpath /usr/share/ant/lib/ant-launcher.jar -
> Dant.home=/usr/share/ant -Dant.library.dir=/usr/share/ant/lib -
> Djikes.class.p
>  2724 ttys000   52:30.53 /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
> Versions/1.6.0/Home/bin/javadoc -breakiterator -d /opt/local/var/
> macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_
>
> Is there anyway to figure out what is happening?  I had no problem
> with this on Tiger and Leopard.

It built for me in under ten minutes on Snow Leopard (I didn't time it).

You can look at Activity Monitor to see if any processes are using the
CPU heavily, which would indicate something is still going on.

MacPorts will tell you what it's doing if you use the debug switch,
but if you did not start port with the debug switch, there isn't a way
to make it now start showing that information. You would have to
cancel the port install attempt and try again. You can add the debug
switch now:

sudo port -d install xalanj

If it gets stuck at some point you should now be able to see it.