mac ports error

Tim Eberhard xmin0s at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 16:09:25 PDT 2009

All,

I've checked the faq and known issues as well as searched google for this
problem, but I was wondering if anyone else is encountering this issue.

I reinstalled ports after upgraded to Snow Leopard. I downloaded the latest
xcode (xcode3210a432) and installed the latest ports
(MacPorts-1.8.0-10.6-SnowLeopard)

Something is majorly borked with ports right now though.

localhost:~ tle4729$ sudo port selfupdate
Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
--->  Updating the ports tree
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync the ports
tree: invalid command name "findBinary"
localhost:~ tle4729$ nano
localhost:~ tle4729$ sudo port -d sync
Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
Synchronizing local ports tree from
http://www.macports.org/files/ports.tar.gz
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed
100 7260k  100 7260k    0     0   699k      0  0:00:10  0:00:10 --:--:--
753k
DEBUG: invalid command name "findBinary"
    while executing
"findBinary tar $macports::autoconf::tar_path"
    (procedure "mportsync" line 109)
    invoked from within
"mportsync [array get global_options]"
port sync failed: invalid command name "findBinary"

localhost:~ tle4729$ sudo port -d selfupdate
Password:
Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
--->  Updating the ports tree
DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
Synchronizing local ports tree from
http://www.macports.org/files/ports.tar.gz
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed
100 7260k  100 7260k    0     0   702k      0  0:00:10  0:00:10 --:--:--
753k
DEBUG: Couldn't sync the ports tree: invalid command name "findBinary"
    while executing
"macports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync the ports
tree: invalid command name "findBinary"

I would appreciate any input and advise on how to fix this. I already
uninstalled all my previous ports and I would *really* like them back :)

Thanks,
-Tim Eberhard