/opt/local/man not added to $MANPATH

Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov rambiusparkisanius at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 06:00:39 PDT 2009

Hello,

I am using MacPorts 1.8 and noticed that man(1) does not find the
manual pages for programs installed as mac ports. The reason turned
out to be that $PREFIX/man, in my case /opt/local/man is not in
$MANPATH. I checked $HOME/.profile:

#
# Your previous .profile  (if any) is saved as .profile.mpsaved
# Setting the path for MacPorts.
export PATH=$HOME/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

It seems that when installing MacPorts it changes $PATH. I manually
adjusted $MANPATH. Would it be appropriate if MacPorts installation
adjusts $MANPATH as well?

Regards
Rambius

--