Apache 2 - am I doing it wrong?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 12 13:33:47 PDT 2009

On Sep 12, 2009, at 07:24, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> Are you using MacPorts launchd plist which uses daemondo?
>
> I don't like this approach at all. Just do away with the MacPorts
> plist and make your own and add something like "Requires" and
> "DiskArbitration".
>
> I'm sure there is a good reason for daemondo but I don't know what
> that is.
>
> Launchd is already there, powerful and documented.
>
> Daemondo is either not powerful or not documented.
>
> Since we are already writing to /Library/LaunchDaemons/ why not just
> use Apples launchd instead?

One reason for Daemondo is that Launchd did not exist until Mac OS X
10.4 and MacPorts needed to work on earlier versions of Mac OS X as
well. Now that MacPorts requires 10.4 or greater that need no longer
applies. I'm not sure what the other reasons were.

Note that MacPorts still lets you select that you want to use the
older startupitems instead of launchd plists, via a macports.conf
setting. I'm not sure if anybody needs that feature though and we
could consider removing it now to simplify things.