/opt/local/man not added to $MANPATH

Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov rambiusparkisanius at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 21:02:06 PDT 2009

Hello Ryan,

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2009, at 08:00, Ivan Rambius Ivanov wrote:
>
>> I am using MacPorts 1.8 and noticed that man(1) does not find the
>> manual pages for programs installed as mac ports. The reason turned
>> out to be that $PREFIX/man, in my case /opt/local/man is not in
>> $MANPATH. I checked $HOME/.profile:
>>
>> #
>> # Your previous .profile  (if any) is saved as .profile.mpsaved
>> # Setting the path for MacPorts.
>> export PATH=$HOME/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
>>
>> It seems that when installing MacPorts it changes $PATH. I manually
>> adjusted $MANPATH. Would it be appropriate if MacPorts installation
>> adjusts $MANPATH as well?
>
> Note that the correct manpath is ${prefix}/share/man, not ${prefix}/man.
I have a symbolic link ${prefix}/man pointing to ${prefix}/share/man:

$ ls -ald /opt/local/man
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  9 28 Авг 09:51 /opt/local/man -> share/man

> MacPorts installation does modify the manpath if it thinks that's necessary.
OK, I readjusted MANPATH to contain /opt/local/share/man:

#
# Your previous .profile  (if any) is saved as .profile.mpsaved
# Setting the path for MacPorts.
export PATH=$HOME/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$MANPATH:/opt/local/share/man

Thank you for the clarification.

> I'm not sure why in your case it did not determine that it was necessary.
Hm, I remember doing a macports installation on one machine and I did
not have this problem. On the current one, however, I used port
selfupdate. Do you think this may be the reason?

Regards
Rambius

--
Tangra Mega Rock: http://www.radiotangra.com