download problem from sf.net

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 15 06:16:16 PDT 2009

On Sep 15, 2009, at 08:07, Martin Krischik wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt schrieb:
>>

>> On Sep 15, 2009, at 07:06, S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu) wrote:
>>
>>> after waiting long time, the file downloaded from macporst mirror.
>>> how
>>> can i select to download from macports mirror instate of sf.net ?
>>
>> You can't set the order; MacPorts pings all servers and tries them in
>> order from lowest ping time to highest.
>
> But this assumption is wrong. Highest ping rate does not translate to
> highest download rate as it only measures the network speed but not
> the
> CPU, memory or hard drive which is used in the server itself.

Granted. But how do you determine that? Ping was easy to implement and
better than what we had before (which was to try the servers in the
order specified in the portfile). If you have a better suggestion,
I'll be glad to hear it.

> From own experience I know that one of the Swiss mirrors has a very
> fast
> ping but often times out when you actually try to download a file.
> Half
> the time I want to download something from sf I get nothing but an
> error
> message.

You can locally edit your mirrorsites.tcl file and remove problematic
mirrors, but if a mirror is generally problematic (i.e. not just a
problem on your network), then we should remove it from the list
entirely. Do you know what server it is?