Should users be told how to install 32-bit vim-app and dia on SL?

David Shao davshaonr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 22:58:35 PDT 2009

On a Macbook 2.1 running 10.6.1 with stock Xcode 3.2 from the Snow
Leopard DVD except also installing 10.4 support,
I have been able to compile and install 32-bit versions of vim-app and
dia in Macports 8.0.  Should this information be
in the FAQ or some other document that a desperate end-user could
think to access?

1) Install as many dependencies as possible using variant universal.

2) sudo port -d install vim-app +cscope configure.compiler=gcc-4.0
configure.build_arch=i386

3) sudo port -d install libemf configure.compiler=gcc-4.0
configure.build_arch=i386

4) sudo port -d install dia configure.compiler=gcc-4.0 configure.build_arch=i386

I have submitted this information to

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20947

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21234

In neither case does there appear to be a solution at hand for
building the end applications vim-app or dia in the ordinary manner,
so I would argue a temporary 32-bit solution might be better than nothing.