Mysql5

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Sep 16 22:42:17 PDT 2009

On Sep 16, 2009, at 10:25 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2009, at 00:23, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> I was using -d so a lot went by, mysql5 was installed, I figured
>>> it should have aborted?  a port installed showed it was installed,
>>> so I removed it, and then ran sudo port install mysql5-server,
>>> which made everything mostly work.
>>>
>>> So this ui_msg is not designed to abort, it is just informational?
>>
>> It is just informational. It does not abort. mysql5 installs
>> without server support. The message reminds you if you want server
>> support you now have to additionally install mysql5-server.
>
> I used the same approach when I removed variants from graphviz and
> php5. Would it be better to abort the installation process and force
> the user to deal with the situation right there?

I tend to lean on it should abort then.  If the new way is to mysql5-
server then the +server method probably should not do anything.  If it
still installs and does not even install the launchd item, to me, that
is a little confusing.

I have never seen it done in MacPorts, but can it be interactive?  Y/N
for wanting to continue as it stands, or abort, clean, and maybe even
allow the user to move into a mysql5-server install right there.