Why fetch.type svn installs port:subversion?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 17 12:17:11 PDT 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 13:54, Vitaly Harisov wrote:

> 'fetch.type svn' installs port:subversion instead of use native
> MacOSX SVN client from /usr/bin
> In the sam time 'port sync' for sources from svn reporitory uses /
> usr/bin/svn
>
> I see no reason to install port:subversion for 'fetch.type svn' and
> propose to remove this dependency.

It was originally implemented to allow the system svn to satisfy the
dependency:

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/43782

It was changed to require the subversion port so that the --trust-
server-cert option which we use would be guaranteed to work:

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/54434

Finally, it was changed so that on Snow Leopard, which has a recent-
enough svn, the system svn is allowed to be sufficient:

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/56160

So, it is correct the way it is now.