[MacPorts] #20773: Add zope2.10

Martin Stadler martin at siarp.de
Fri Sep 18 04:53:40 PDT 2009

Hi Darren!

I'm also working with Plone that's why I wrote the port for zope2.10.
I'm using it on my machine (see MacPorts docs on how to add ports not
in the official tree) with Plone buildouts. I already wrote on this
list a while ago about what versions should be in the tree. Plone 3
needs 2.10 (not 2.11) so it's not an option to just have the latest
2.x version.

There are different ways to install Plone: If you use the installer
all the dependencies are included. If you use buildout you need
Python2.4 and a few packages

     $ sudo port install python24 py-libxml2 py-elementtree py-pil py-
setuptools

Zope2 is automatically compiled and installed by buildout so you don't
really need a port for that. The only reason for me is that I install
the port once and can use it by multiple Plone instances. Buildout
lets you define an existing zope2 installation.

I don't think it's a good idea to have a Plone port. Plone and its
installation is changing a lot these days and if you want to have it
running quickly use the installer and if you want to customize you
gotta tweak you own buildout. All the distributions (Linux) fail to
have recent Plone packages. Debian/Ubuntu have zope2.10 package. I
also think most of the zope-* ports should be removed...

Martin