OpenMPI on SL

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 18 07:19:22 PDT 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 09:02, Nils wrote:

> I also have two further questions:
> - Instead of building everything on your own machine, are there binary
> packages available?

No, there aren't. We would like to have this, but the infrastructure
and code for this do not exist yet. There are also license issues to
consider.

> - When port builds the packages (eg after typing port install blah)
> does it use all available cores for compiling

Yes, it does.

> and if not, where can I
> configure that?

build_make_jobs in macports.conf. "0" means as many cores as are
available, though the number is reduced if you have less RAM.
Individual ports might disable parallel building if they are known to
be incompatible with it.

> --->  Building gcc43
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_lang_gcc43
> /work/build"
> && /usr/bin/make -j2 all " returned error 2

All gcc ports have been broken in Snow Leopard until very recently,
but I was able to install gcc43, gcc44 and gcc45 yesterday. Please
"sudo port selfupdate" to make sure you have the very latest ports,
then try again.