chmod error on new shell

TjL luomat at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 07:39:52 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 6:38 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2009, at 16:31, TjL wrote:
>

>> My Dropbox as in http://www.getdropbox.com/ as in "I can install
>> MacPorts on one of my Macs and have it automatically sync to all of my
>> other Macs and not have to worry about having different versions
>> installed" :-)
>
> Oh. Well you may be the first person to have tried that, so I guess now we
> know it doesn't work so well. :)

I've run this way for awhile and it *seems* to work ok.

> In any case, it would only work at all if
> all your machines have the same version of Mac OS X and Xcode and have the
> same processor.

They all have the same version of OS X and *should* all have the same
version of XCode. I've got iMac, MacBook, and MacBookPro which are all
a couple years old, so the processors should be close to the same if
not identical. What kind of problems would I look for?

>> It has caused some permissions problems. For some reason I had to do
>> 'sudo make install' instead of 'make install" and then I ended up with
>> a bunch of files owned by root.
>
> There are some permissions issues in MacPorts 1.8.0 when you don't install
> as root. Hopefully we'll figure out how to fix those soon.

Ok, thanks :-)

> P.S: Use Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not just to me.

d'oh. Butterfingers. I knew that :-)