older macports perl XS module linking issues after Snow Leopard Install.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 21 06:51:23 PDT 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 08:48, Mark Blackman wrote:

> On 21 Sep 2009, at 12:41, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> The correct fix when upgrading from one major OS version to another
>> is to uninstall all ports and reinstall them. See the Migration
>> page in the wiki:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>
> Actually, is there some explicit provision for building a new
> /opt from scratch in some other directory, then switching
> it in as "the" new /opt (macport binaries).

No, there isn't, sorry. The installation path is hardcoded all over
the installed files.

> The thing about such a massive migration is that I'd like to minimize
> working downtime. So my current /opt directory is working quite well,
> but if I do the correct thing, then I've potentially got a lot of
> development downtime while I'm building all the new binaries.

Yes, it is unfortunate.

> The only obvious thing that comes to mind is building the ports
> on another machine and then copying them over and installing them
> as binary packages.

Installing as binary packages would make the MacPorts on the machine
you install onto unaware of their existence and they would collide
with any ports you later want to install on that machine. So I cannot
recommend this procedure.