py26-scipy dependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 21 12:11:17 PDT 2009

> On 2009-09-21, at 2:50 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Sep 21, 2009, at 13:43, Luís Beça wrote:
>>
>>> This is probably a stupid question but I'm trying to install py26-
>>> scipy +gcc44 on Snow Leopard.
>>>
>>> port deps py26-scipy +gcc44 says that scipy depends on python26,
>>> py26-numpy, py26-nose,
>>> SuiteSparse, swig, gcc44 all of which I have installed. However,
>>> when I try to install scipy, ports
>>> starts building ruby, apache and a bunch of other stuff that don't
>>> seem related to scipy at all.
>>>
>>> I know this is probably related to the default swig port that
>>> calls for ruby, php, etc but I already have
>>> swig installed (but only with the python extension; I don't care
>>> for the others) so scipy should just build
>>> without all the ruby, apache, etc stuff I don't care about, right?
>>
>> That would seem logical to me too... Perhaps you could show us
>> exactly the command you're executing, and use the debug switch and
>> show us the complete output? If it is large you may want to
>> compress it before sending it to the list.
>
> Attached is the build log. I cliped it after ruby starts building.
> After, mhash is built, then apache, etc.
> If you want the whole thing let me know. Also I have swig
> @1.3.40_0+python installed.

Ok, in the log I see:

DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/devel/swig
DEBUG: epoch: in tree: 0 installed: 0
DEBUG: swig 1.3.40_0 exists in the ports tree
DEBUG: swig 1.3.40_0 +python is the latest installed
DEBUG: swig 1.3.40_0 +python is active
DEBUG: Merging existing variants python into variants
DEBUG: new fully merged portvariants: python +

So it recognizes that swig is installed with the +python variant,

DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
rsync.macports.org/release/ports/devel/swig
DEBUG: OS Platform: darwin
DEBUG: OS Version: 10.0.0
DEBUG: Mac OS X Version: 10.6
DEBUG: System Arch: i386
DEBUG: setting option os.universal_supported to yes
DEBUG: org.macports.load registered provides 'load', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
DEBUG: org.macports.unload registered provides 'unload', a pre-
existing procedure. Target override will not be provided
DEBUG: org.macports.distfiles registered provides 'distfiles', a pre-
existing procedure. Target override will not be provided
DEBUG: Reading variant descriptions from /opt/local/var/macports/
sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/_resources/port1.0/
variant_descriptions.conf
DEBUG: adding the default universal variant
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port swig.
DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port swig.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port swig.
DEBUG: Executing variant python provides python
DEBUG: Executing variant perl provides perl
DEBUG: Executing variant ruby provides ruby
DEBUG: Executing variant php5 provides php5

But then it wants to go and install swig again with its default
variants, which will pull in all the dependencies you mentioned. I
don't know why it thinks it should install swig again.

What command did you run to produce this output? What do you have in
variants.conf?

P.S: Use Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not just to me.