Cannot set mysql 5.1.39_0 root password

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sat Sep 26 12:35:54 PDT 2009

On Sep 26, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2009, at 09:56, Andrea D'Amore wrote:
>
>> On 26/set/09, at 10:34, Chang James wrote:
>>
>>> error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password:
>>> NO)'
>>
>> Can you connect by using regular mysql5 client? Try with and w/o
>> password option.
>
> Yes, I believe you need the -p flag:
>
> mysqladmin5 -u root -p password <new-password>
>
> These are the instructions shown in the MAMP how-to document:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MAMP#mysql

I seem to recall at some point, being told by a ui message to run:
/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_secure_installation

This was really nice, and I looked at all it did, to learn I had been
running all those steps by hand in the past.  Running the above
command, interactively walked me through the securing of MySql, even
dropping the test database if I wanted.

I can not seem to find ui message reference to that script in either
the normal or devel ports.

I was just reading about chrooting MySql.  What are your thoughts on
this, would there be any interested in chrooted ports of mysql5?  I
suppose it would only be needed on the mysql5-server one, and I would
probably not do so on the devel version either.

Maybe we could chroot apache2 as well, which would start it new in
some regards, and deal with the incorrectly places location it is in
now.  Though, I suppose chrooting anything in MacPorts will defy many
of the directory location conventions that have been set forth.

* What is the suggested MacPorts location for what most other OS's
call "www".  Apple is out there with the /Library/WebServer/Documents
location, but I have seen /www and /var/www and /opt/local/www and /
opt/local/var/www.