X11 driver not configured with OpenGL on Snow Leopard

Dominik Reichardt domiman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 14:00:21 PDT 2009

Hi all,

since libsdl and libsdl_mixer now are built on SL, I tried my hands on
compiling Exult (http://exult.sf.net). And indeed it finally builds.
Exult has world editing program called Exult Studio which uses
libglade2 and GTK2. When built with support for Exult Studio, Exult
uses x11 for display and on SL I can't use Exult's OpenGL scaler. When
I try to use that I get the error (in the console):

Couldn't allocate surface: X11 driver not configured with OpenGL

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is or how to solve this?

Another problem I had was that Exult Studio wouldn't start.
I would get the error "Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/
tmp/launch-sLK0xy/:0"." in the console and Exult Studio would continue
to run in the background consuming every CPU time it could get.
Only when I rebuilt cairo and pango with the variants +macosx+quartz
+universal and GTK2 with universal+x11 (which I was wondering how that
worked) was  I able to build both Exult and Exult Studio and make
Exult Studio start correctly (even though it still gives me the error
"Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-sLK0xy/:0"."
on startup).
I'd like your input on that as well, even though it is kind of solved
for now :)

Thanks and take care

Dominik