Inkscape crazy slow - instruments shows four libpangoft2-1.0.0.dylib calls burning up my cpu

Dave Carpeneto carpeneto at ieee.org
Mon Sep 28 07:43:35 PDT 2009

Hi all - looked through the archives & did not see anything on this, so I'm at a loss as to why my macport installation of inkscape is crawlingly slow (launch time ~ 3 minutes, and once it is launched it's too slow to use).

Top showed inkscape burning up CPU in the high 90's, and firing up sampler in instruments showed calls to libpangoft2-1.0.0.dylib were very much responsible.

Fresh install of the OS (10.6.1), fresh install of port (MacPorts 1.8.0) & inkscape (0.46 (Sep 26 2009)).

Cksum of my lib is 604557464 202800 libpangoft2-1.0.0.dylib

Any hints ? I've not used Inkscape in OS X before (lived by it in Linux) - is this simply "how things are" ?

Note: I'm using the default X11 from apple, and have not done any tweaking up to this point.

Thanks - Dave