OS X 10.6.1: MacPorts 1.8 Wireshark Problems

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com
Tue Sep 29 19:51:41 PDT 2009

I use Wireshark constantly to diagnose application and network
problems.  I have two Mac Pro systems.  The one at work is a
MacPro1,1.  At home, I have a MacPro3,1.

After upgrading to OS X 10.6.1, I downloaded MacPorts 1.8 and ran into
the problem that everyone seems to have encountered with residual
information in /opt/local/....  I removed all of the directories used
by MacPorts and re-installed the MacPorts package.

The problem that I'm encountering involves Wireshark.  It built
successfully on both my home and work systems.  On the MacPro3,1
system at home Wireshark runs without problems.

On the MacPro1,1 system at work, Wireshark takes anywhere from 30
minutes to an hour to load. It spends an inordinate amount of time
window, it is unusable.  No menu is displayed when you click on any
item in the menu bar.  The close, minimize, and maximize icons are not
functional.  You can't click on the links to open any of the files
listed in the center of the window.

Is there a support issue with a MacPro1,1 system?

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com