Path

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 29 20:10:45 PDT 2009

On Sep 29, 2009, at 22:07, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> + Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>:
>
>> Bash might look in one of several files for its initialization
>> instructions. These files are
>> called .profile, .bash_profile, .bashrc,
>> .login, and .bash_login, and would be directly in your home
>> directory. Which of those files do you have, and what is their
>> contents?
>
> There is also the system-wide /etc/profile, which reads path elements
> from /etc/paths and individual files in /etc/paths.d/.

Yes, there is.

> I have a file
> /etc/paths.d/macports which contains /opt/local/bin. I don't think I
> am the one who put it there?

Early in the development of MacPorts 1.7 we experimented with using
that method for adding to the paths on Leopard. Before the release of
1.7 we took this code out because that method did not work the way we
wanted. (It put the MacPorts paths last in PATH instead of first.) So
if you installed a version of MacPorts trunk during the development of
version 1.7 that could explain it. You should remove these files.