OS X 10.6.1: MacPorts 1.8 Wireshark Problems

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 29 20:28:43 PDT 2009

On Sep 29, 2009, at 22:24, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
> On 29 Sep 2009, at 19:57:34, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 07:51:41PM -0700, Merton Campbell Crockett
>> said:
>>> I use Wireshark constantly to diagnose application and network
>>> problems.  I have two Mac Pro systems.  The one at work is a
>>> MacPro1,1.  At home, I have a MacPro3,1.
>>>
>>> After upgrading to OS X 10.6.1, I downloaded MacPorts 1.8 and ran
>>> into the problem that everyone seems to have encountered with
>>> residual information in /opt/local/....  I removed all of the
>>> directories used by MacPorts and re-installed the MacPorts package.
>>
>> That's not a problem but quite normal, a major OS upgrade (eg
>> 10.5-10.6)
>> requires a rebuild:
>>
>> <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration>
>
> Also, you need to delete the old directories to get rid of
> directories used by ncurses and the directories used for docbook.
> If you don't Wireshark will fail to build.

Which directories are those? We should add them to the instructions
(or you can feel free to do so too; anybody can get a Trac account and
edit the wiki).

>>> The problem that I'm encountering involves Wireshark.  It built
>>> successfully on both my home and work systems.  On the MacPro3,1
>>> system at home Wireshark runs without problems.
>>>
>>> On the MacPro1,1 system at work, Wireshark takes anywhere from 30
>>> minutes to an hour to load. It spends an inordinate amount of time
>>> window, it is unusable.  No menu is displayed when you click on any
>>> item in the menu bar.  The close, minimize, and maximize icons are
>>> not functional.  You can't click on the links to open any of the
>>> files listed in the center of the window.
>>
>> Most likely the pango issue as seen on ticket #21701:
>>
>> <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21701>
>
> Were this the problem, shouldn't both the MacPro1,1 and MacPro3,1
> systems behave the same?

If both have pango 1.26.0, yes.

> Both report the RANDR error identified in the ticket.

That's a warning only and is not a problem. All X11 programs running
on Mac OS X will display this message. It's harmless.