Can't get MacPorts to work after the install

Yves S. Garret yoursurrogategod at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 04:19:30 PDT 2010

This is quite frustrating.

I downloaded the source.  I configured it and compiled it.

% ./configure && make

Then the install...

% sudo make install

Everything was as it should, then I modified the .zsh_profile file in order
to insert to modify the PATH and it looks as it does below:

#!/bin/zsh

if [ -e ~/.zshrc ]; then
source ~/.zshrc
fi

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:$PATH
export PATH=/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

I start up a new shell and try running it:

% sudo port -v selfupdate
sudo: port: command not found

Didn't work. So I went back to here and downloaded the dmg file. I install
it just like the installer orders me to. No indication whatsoever that the
install somehow has not gone as it should.

Now, here's what happens when I try to run MacPorts on the console:

% sudo port -v selfupdate
Password:
sudo: port: command not found

:-/