python port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 2 08:43:44 PDT 2010

On Apr 2, 2010, at 10:31, Fernando Martín wrote:

> I think that I've got the solution. From the terminal using du command
> I get 290 MB, but from Finder I get 490 MB. Probably, the information
> provided by Finder is not very accurate.

If you're on Snow Leopard, part of the difference is that the Snow Leopard Finder reports sizes in "consumer" megabytes (1 MB = 10^6 bytes = 1000000 bytes) whereas the Leopard Finder and earlier, and the "du -h" command, report sizes in traditional megabytes (1 MB = 2^20 bytes = 1048576 bytes).

Another part of the problem may be permissions. Perhaps there are files or directories in your MacPorts installation that are not readable by all. Perhaps the Finder and/or the "du" tool would exclude them from their tallies. In the terminal, you can use "sudo" to avoid that problem and get an accurate count ("sudo du ..."). In the Finder I don't know what to do about that.