python port

Alan Franzoni mailing at franzoni.eu
Fri Apr 2 08:58:11 PDT 2010

On 4/1/10 4:22 PM, Fernando Martín wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a new user of Macports. As an initial test, I have installed the
> python26 port and I am a bit surprised that after the installation and
> cleaning process (port clean), the opt folder is about 600 MB. Is this
> normal?

Precompiled python.org binaries offer python only, no dependencies. If
you don't have something, it will crash at runtime.

On the contrary macports pulls in any dep. The default python port
compiles with the tk module, hence there're plenty of transitive
dependencies (tk is a GUI module which depends on X).

Try removing anything you've got in macports right now, then recompile
the no-gui variant of python:

sudo port install python26 +no_tkinter

--
Alan Franzoni