"make clean all" error go-devel: Unable to open port: unsupported architecture ppc

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 5 11:40:40 PDT 2010

On Apr 5, 2010, at 13:19, Justin Dearing wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> "port clean all" should not usually be necessary, though it should not cause any harm nor an error message. If you encounter any other problems with this please let us know.
>
> Since my hard drive is only 40 gigs on that machine, running make clean all is kinda a big deal to me. Obviously the ports build files are not the biggest use of my hard drive (podcasts are,) but it is a noticeable contributor.

I understand, but MacPorts automatically cleans a port after a successful installation (unless you have turned this off by setting "portautoclean	 no" in macports.conf). So the only time you should need to clean a port manually is after an unsuccessful build, and then it's more efficient to name the port explicitly (e.g. "sudo port clean zlib" to clean the zlib port). Even if it's been awhile and you don't remember which ports might need to be cleaned, you can consult the contents of the directory /opt/local/var/macports/build and just clean the ports listed there; this will only take a few seconds, whereas asking MacPorts to clean all 6800+ ports we currently have will take many minutes.