Inconsistent list of inactive ports with "port list inactive" command

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at ieee.org
Wed Apr 7 09:44:05 PDT 2010

Perhaps 'port echo inactive' is what you are looking for?

>From the manpage:
"
   echo
     Writes to stdout the arguments passed to port.  This follows the
expansion of pseudo-portnames, portname glob patterns, pseudo-portname
     selectors and the evaluation of port expressions.  echo may be
used to determine the exact set of ports to which a given string of
     arguments will expand, without performing any further operations
on them. For example:

   list
     If no argument is given, display a list of the latest version of
all available ports.  If portname(s) are given as arguments, display a
     list of the latest version of each port.
"

note especially that list shows "the latest version of each port'

Hope that helps!
 Eric