Linking 'gfortran' command to compiler in gcc43

Andrew Lambe andrew.b.lambe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 12:41:21 PDT 2010

When I first installed gcc43 through Macports, I noticed that the command gfortran was undefined, even though gfortran comes with the package (for some reason gcc did work as expected.) To compensate, I downloaded gfortran separately using a precompiled binary. I found out too late that gfortran was disguised as 'gfortran-mp-4.3' and now I would like to link the gfortran command to that executable. (Note that the gfortran binary is currently in /usr/local/bin and is called 'gfortran')

1) How can I link the command 'gfortran' to the Macports executable?
2) Is there an easy way to check if e.g. the 'gcc' command is linked to the Macports executable and not something else like Xcode?

Your help is appreciated.

Andrew