choosing SDK for macports

Dominik Reichardt domiman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 03:32:18 PDT 2010

Am 27.04.2010 um 23:12 schrieb Joshua Root:

>>> in the process of building static binaries of our project (Exult), I hit the problem that on 10.5 my attempt to built the 10.4 PPC part always hit the "Symbol not found: _pthread_cond_init$UNIX2003" referenced from SDL (and other similar messages) on final linlking.
>>>
>>> I found out that this happens because SDL's PPC part was not compiled against the 10.4 SDK. After more googling I found that adding
>>> universal_sysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
>>> universal_target 10.4
>>>
>>> to macports.conf should take care of this. I tried that, built everything anew and still got the problem.
>>>
>>> I WAS able to build a static PPC binary by manually building SDL with their fatbuild.sh script and linking to that lib.
>>>
>>> I would still like to be able to use the macports installed SDL and am looking for what I'm doing wrong when trying to choose a SDK for macports.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what I did wrong, or was that functionality never really working?
>>

>> Sorry, the ability to build for a different SDK is no longer available as of MacPorts 1.8.0. It was not implemented in a very good way. Joshua has just begun committing new code to trunk to re-add this functionality in a better way. Hopefully this will appear in MacPorts 1.9.0.
>
> You can easily add the appropriate flags in a local copy of the port.
> Cross-compiling will probably never be a supported configuration BTW.

Thanks Ryan and Joshua, now I know why that didn't work :)

What are the appropiate flags? These http://guide.macports.org/#reference.phases.configure.universal ?
I tried with those and didn't succeed in getting SDL to compile with the 10.4 SDK. As the examples are missing, I probably used them wrong. Can you give me any pointers?

Dom