necessary info

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Wed Apr 28 11:46:27 PDT 2010

On 4/28/10 10:27 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 27.04.2010 02:32, John B Brown wrote:
>>> After installing the entire Xorg and XFree86 packages through macports I
>>> installed ghostscript and gv. Neither of them do anything except sit
>>> there at the command prompt doing nothing. A control-C will stop the
>>> wait and return the prompt. Trying to 'see' what is happening by using a
>>> second shell in the terminal and 'ps' shows me that they are sleeping.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong? Why do neither of these command line applications
>>> work on Apple when they work so well on Linux?
>
> Is your X11 running? Maybe launchd can't get it started for whatever
> reason and that causes the hang. Try to launch it manually.
>
> Rainer

	I'm confused. According to the install DVDs that came with this iMac,
the only way X11 gets in is if I install it from the DVD.

	My screen appears no different after installing X11. How might I
determine whether or not X11 is running? Does X11 install into the root
tree locations that are used in Linux? I notice the /etc/X11/ paths are
completely symbolic links into /usr/X11/lib.

	Is 'launchd' part of the boot system?

	The brief mention in "Mac OS X Support Essentials v10.6" by Kevin M.
White, Apple Certified, says Apple X11 is based on XFree86 and X11 can
be accessed by opening the X11 interface located at
/Applications/Utilities/X11. It then refers all other questions about
X11 to http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/X11.html. Such
irrelevant subjects as 'remote ssh', forwarding, tunneling are mentioned
there as examples of X11 configurations. Not exactly simple user help.

	I just tried startx. X11 would not launch. The error message:

dyld: Library not loaded:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
   Referenced from:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
   Reason: Incompatible library version: ImageIO requires version 1.0.0
or later, but libTIFF.dylib provides version 0.0.0

	I've seen that error message before, during compiles that try to link
libTIFF.dylib from the Apple default location. How do I overcome poorly
integrated Apple libraries?

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"If any question why we died, tell them,
because our fathers lied."  Rudyard Kipling
"A man who does not know the truth is just an idiot
but a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie
is a crook."  Bertolt Brecht
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain