necessary info

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Wed Apr 28 12:55:56 PDT 2010

Dear Folk,

	More confusion.

	I've done a 'locate libTIFF' and 'locate libtiff'. There are three
libTIFFs, one under 10.6 SDK, another under 10.5 SDK, and the third at
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib.

	The only libtiff finds are "libtiff_copyright.txt",
libtiff-lzw-1.3.tar.gz, libtifftcl3.8.2.dylib, and
/Users/jbb/google-earth/libtiff.so.3 so there can be no conflictiing
library path problems. The error is an Apple built-in version error!

	My updatedb path is "/" so locate gets it all.

On 4/28/10 1:14 PM, Landon J Fuller wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2010, at 11:46 AM, John B Brown wrote:
>
>> dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
>>   Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
>>   Reason: Incompatible library version: ImageIO requires version 1.0.0 or later, but libTIFF.dylib provides version 0.0.0
>>
>> 	I've seen that error message before, during compiles that try to link libTIFF.dylib from the Apple default location. How do I overcome poorly integrated Apple libraries?
>
> This is likely due to your setting of DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, which overrides dyld's standard behavior. Apple's dynamic linker supports linking multiple libraries with the same basename (eg, libtiff.dylib) by encoding either a binary-relative or absolute path to the linked library. The 'DYNAMIC LIBRARY LOADING' section of dyld(1) has a very brief introduction on how this works.
>
> With DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set, dyld will instead first perform a simple search across the user-specified search paths, and any conflicting-named libraries found in the search path will take precedence over the intended libraries. If you have a libtiff.dylib in that search path, it will take precedence over the intended library in ImageIO.
>
> To fix the issue, libraries that require DYLD_* environmental variables should be reconfigured/rebuilt to include proper install name paths (see ld(1) -install_name). As a work-around, using DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH instead may resolve some conflicts.
>
> -landonf

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"If any question why we died, tell them,
because our fathers lied."  Rudyard Kipling
"A man who does not know the truth is just an idiot
but a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie
is a crook."  Bertolt Brecht
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain