Installing kdenlive: The continuing saga.

Steve Morris steve at judgement.com
Wed Apr 28 17:17:18 PDT 2010

I am trying to install kdenlive and have had a series of of problems
with installing its many dependencies. Currently mlt is dead. I filed
ticket #24698 against that and hopefully it will get fixed someday. In
the process of debugging the most recent problems Ryan mentioned that
he had sucesssfully built kdenlive against revision r64072 of
macports. Since I have used subversion I decided to give that a shot.
I couldn't find the exact instructions but simply followed the wiki
instructions for installing fron the repository and eventually ran

% svn co -r 64072  http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/ .

... lots of stuff deleted ...
A    devel/caml-json-static/Portfile
A    devel/vxl
A    devel/vxl/files
svn: Can't convert string from 'UTF-8' to native encoding:
svn: devel/vxl/files/patch-v3p?\226?\152?\131mpeg2?\226?\152?\131libmpeg2?\226?\152?\131idct_altivec.c

I'm stumped. Any suggestions would be appreciated. How to fix mlt? How
to get svn to download macports sources on my machine? Anything?

Actually the kindest thing you could do is tell me that I will never
be able to install and use kdenlive on my mac so I could just give up
and do something else with my life. This is too much like torture. I
just want to edit a little video.

Steve Morris