necessary info

Michael Funk mwfunk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 02:28:36 PDT 2010

On Apr 29, 2010, at 1:01 AM, Andrea D'Amore wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 2:03 AM, Michael Funk <mwfunk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  None of these are set by default, but if you have any defined they might be interfering with which instances of which libraries are getting loaded up and from where.
>
> The error he reported had full path to libTIFF and ImageIO, doesn't
> that mean that the problem is between those two?

That's very true- my shot-in-the-dark theory was that it's trying to load libtiff from somewhere else (via DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH or something similar), but in the error message after the link failure it just lists the path that's hardcoded in ImageIO rather than the path it actually tried to use.  I don't know if the error reporting actually works like that, it's just a guess.

The main reason I suspect that something deeper is going on is that ImageIO gets indirectly loaded up by just about every GUI app, and ImageIO immediately pulls in libtiff.  If it was just a matter of libtiff and ImageIO being unlinkable, I would think that every GUI app on the system would crash on startup, not just X11.app.

Yet another thing John could try: from Terminal, run 'sudo update_dyld_shared_cache', then reboot.

  Mike