gcc on macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 30 04:34:33 PDT 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 06:20, Alan Barros de Oliveira wrote:

> The question is: I had the gcc macport in 10.5 but I did not installed it
> under 10.6. In spite of that I still have gcc.
> By the way, gcc does not appear when I type
> "port installed". So what happens if I do "sudo port install gcc" ??
> Will I have two of them??

Well, there is no port called "gcc". There are several gcc ports, for the different major gcc versions we offer:

$ port echo 'name:^gcc\d'
gcc33
gcc34
gcc40
gcc41
gcc42
gcc43
gcc44
gcc45
gcc46

gcc 4.5.0 was just released; that's the newest stable gcc port. (gcc46 is a development version.)

You can install any or all of these gcc ports simultaneously -- at least, you can install gcc43 through gcc46; gcc42 and earlier don't build on Snow Leopard (not for me, anyway). Yes, you will then have multiple copies of gcc installed. You can install and use the gcc_select port to select which one you want to use as "gcc", or you can just use the compilers by their full names.