help with installing/updating "gettext" & other files in 64-bit snow leopard architecture

Scott Webster sewebster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 22:09:38 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Faddah Steve Yuetsu Wolf <my_biz at me.com> wrote:

> hello all,
> i'm on a 27" iMac w/ the intel quad core i7 2.8 GHz processor,  and the
> latest Mac OS X 10.6.4 (snow leopard) which is installed as 64-bit (that's
> important, as you will see in a moment).
> i'm trying to set up my mac so it can install a build of the new open source
> drizzle database. they say in their build/install documents (see —>
> http://drizzle.org/wiki/Compiling/MacOS_X), i first have to set up MacPorts.
> they then suggest you to do a "sudo port -v upgrade outdated" in the
> process. when i do, i get this —>
> --->  Configuring gettext
> Error: You cannot install gettext for the architecture(s) x86_64 because
> Error: its dependency expat only contains the architecture(s) i386.

One thing I thought of was setting your registry type to sqlite.  In
/opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf
you should have the line
portdbformat		sqlite
and not
portdbformat              flat
even if it says sqlite is not yet supported in that file.

This might be why this sort of problem was not automatically avoided?

(Faddah and I had a previous email conversation on this topic)

Scott