help with installing/updating "gettext" & other files in 64-bit snow leopard architecture

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 4 23:22:11 PDT 2010

On Aug 5, 2010, at 01:05, Faddah Steve Yuetsu Wolf wrote:

> thanx for the advisement, and i'll take that into consideration, but as i said in my original e-mail, all i did was download the MacPorts 1.9.1 pkg install on the *.dmg file off your MacPorts site and run it. i didn't change any settings in the macports.conf file, i have not installed a previous version of MacPorts or its expat before today, and i know of know other applications that installed and "i386" expat on my machine or on previous machines i've had (they may have, but before i came across it in MacPorts, i'd never heard of the "expat" before). so i don't know what to tell you there.

I don't know what else to tell you either, but the error message you received was quite clear about the fact that you DID have an i386 expat on your system in the place where MacPorts would have installed it, except that MacPorts on Snow Leopard on a 64-bit machine would not have installed it i386. Since you can't explain why that is, remove all of MacPorts following the Guide to ensure when you reinstall you start with a clean slate.