can't read "compiler.cpath": no such variable (was: Re: openssl upgrade fails messily)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 10 23:52:16 PDT 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 01:22, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>
> Indeed.  Following that, has reached step 3, and get:
>
> --->  Cleaning am-utils
> Error: Unable to open port: can't read "compiler.cpath": no such variable

compiler.cpath is new; it was added in MacPorts 1.9.0 so only a few ports reference it so far -- amarok, libmtp, qt4-mac and qt4-mac-devel. You're hitting the problem at amarok, which comes alphabetically right after the successfully-cleaned am-utils.

Since this property was added in MacPorts 1.9.0, the error you reported is expected if you are running MacPorts 1.8.x or earlier. But by the time you get to step 3 of the Reinstall Ports section of the Migration instructions you should already have installed the latest version of MacPorts (specifically in the Reinstall Xcode and MacPorts section). So go download MacPorts 1.9.1 from our web site and install it, and make sure you've followed the other steps of the Migration page in order, then try again.

> Is there anything to do but nuke the whole thing and reinstall?  E.g.,
> does the experimental script apply to the situation with no
> /opt/local?

You probably don't need to nuke /opt/local, but you do need to follow the migration instructions. :)

The script helps you install a set of ports that you had installed before, as recorded by the command "port installed > myports.txt". If you don't have anything in /opt/local then you don't have any ports installed so "port installed" would produce nothing (or, if /opt/local is completely empty or absent and does not even contain the base MacPorts software, an error message) so there would be nothing for the reinstallation script to reinstall.