.app vs. Ports

Scott Webster sewebster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 09:05:03 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 4:13 AM, James Hozier <guitarscn1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If I can get the same thing either way, e.g. Tor/Privoxy from MacPorts and the Vidalia package from the Tor website, is there a security advantage for one over the other?

I suppose theoretically you could review all the source you get from
macports before compilation to satisfy yourself that it is secure,
whereas with the .app you are relying on the download site to give you
something that works properly.  If you update macports regularly you
will get new versions, whereas with a .app you will have to download
them separately.

Scott