tsocks does not work

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 17 21:23:05 PDT 2010

On Aug 17, 2010, at 18:02, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> James> Do you know if dante works similarly?
>
> Hadn't seen dante before, but I wouldn't be surprised if it also fails.

Well, dante is at least more recent, still has a homepage, has been updated in the past half year, and the port is up to date with that version, so it has a lot more going for it than tsocks does.

That said, I too get the error with dante's socksify, and looking through the source code, I don't see how anybody could ever have gotten this to work on Mac OS X in its current state. I filed a bug report for this problem, but I don't know how to solve all of it, or if it can be solved:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/26134

You may need to write to the developer of dante for help.

Meanwhile, this post says you can get SOCKS support on the Mac without installing any additional software; it's all already built-in:

http://bastardbanter.wordpress.com/2007/05/23/how-to-socksify-a-mac/

Does that work for you?