latex packages and ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 18 18:05:01 PDT 2010

On Aug 18, 2010, at 19:46, Bertrand Scherrer wrote:

> I find that I am missing the following LaTeX package: moredefs package. My question is the following:
>
> How do I know, among all the ports listed under the tex category on the MacPorts website (http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=category&substr=tex), which one contains the package I am looking for ?
>
> I have tried the port contents action but it seems to only work with the ports I have already installed on my machine.
>
> I have tried to look into the MacPorts user mailing list archive but was not able to find a topic related to my question. Any help or pointer would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

moredefs appears to be in the port texlive-latex-extra. I only know this because I had texlive-latex-extra installed and searched my entire MacPorts prefix for files whose names contain "moredefs". There isn't a general way to find out what port will install what file if that port is not already installed.